Sunday, April 22, 2012

7 months in Florida

So, it's been almost exactly 7 months that I've been living in Florida. WOW. Time really flies. The older I get, the quicker it goes right on by. Although I miss certain aspects of New England and being able to see friends easier, I'm glad to be in Florida right now. It's a nice change.

What a strange age and transitional time period though. People say high school is tough...yeah, sure, it is...but, at least you're super young and feel like you're on the brink of something. Late 20's to early 30's are weird. You're supposed to know who you are but still be learning...you're not supposed to have the infinite wisdom that only comes after years of more living. You're supposed to be somewhat established but not crazily so...maybe you've purchased a house or gotten a promotion. And, in most cases, you're supposed to be married or engaged or having kids or 3 kids, for that matter. I'm not saying that's what everyone is supposed to do because everyone is different, but it sure feels that way. It's what the majority of people do.

Although marriage would be a nice thought with the right person, kids aren't even on my radar right now. Sure, they're cute when they're all well behaved and dressed all spiffy, but that's only what they're like about 2% of the time. The other 98% of the time they're rolling around on the grocery store floor tantruming (yes, I just turned that into a verb) with a bright red face as tears stream down and strangers look on disapprovingly. Every time I see a scene like that I think, "Thank God". That sooo does not look fun. I don't have the energy or the will power for that right now.

But, I get why people have kids. Recently, at the pool, this super cute little girl was swimming with her mom. And, she yells over to her mom, "Mommy, I'm having so much fun! This is soooo fun Mommy!" And, in that moment, I understood. In the end, the wonderful parts of the 2% exceed the bad parts of the 98%.

Besides, if you've dated someone for a while and then have also been married for a while, what else is left to do besides have a kid to add in some additional element of 'fun'?

I'm not sure where I was going with this post. I think the basic gist was that it's strange to be somewhat newly single at 29, living with my parents, in a new state, etc. Lots of changes in these past 7-9 months. You never truly know where life is going to take you. I don't really believe that "everything happens for a reason" because to me that statement seems to mean that it's easy to submit and leave things up to fate. And, although unknown, fate-like factors can definitely come into play, I think you're largely in charge of your own destiny. The wheels are in motion.


No comments:

Post a Comment