Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Best Friend Pip

Thank the sweet lord for Danielle...or, "Best Friend Pip", as I have her labeled in my phone. If you think that's weird, you should hear what she used to call me..."Pussy Willow"...which quickly got shortened to "Pussy". Who the hell knows why. All I know is, it was pretty freaking inappropriate when she'd forget to not call me "Pussy" in public. Sometimes, during late night Target runs to buy Bisquick (because we already had the Reese's Pieces, so obviously, we needed the pancake mix for a match made in heaven), when we may or may not have been 'influenced' in one way, shape, or form, she'd yell that special name down the aisle, and we'd get some interesting looks. It didn't help that we were also both furiously reading every Bisquick label we could find in order to choose the healthiest, most 'whole grain' option, even though that point quickly becomes moot when you're adding sugary sweets to the batter.




Well, we're long past our 'right after college graduation/roommate days', and we're states and states apart now, but the friendship remains super strong. We're both the type of people to have a few very close friendships, so we've always kept up with each other and continued trying. And, I shouldn't even use the word 'trying' because it's not really trying if it's something effortless and something that you want/enjoy, but you know what I mean.

Since we've been friends since the age of 16, we've been through a lot together. Psychology class experiments in high school, interesting phases during college (no, I don't mean making out with girls), relationships, and now.

We're pretty much complete opposites too. She loves running, math, cold weather, and can remember the exact date that almost every single thing happened (she can probably even tell you what she was wearing and what I was wearing and if I had my fucking period or not...seriously, her memory is that photographic, it's frightening). I, on the other hand, hate running, hate math, love warm weather, and am horrible at remembering dates of stuff...I'm good at remembering moments but not the damn dates and crap like that.

Anyway, she's always the person I go to to talk about anything. Everything and anything. Filter-free. Stupid stuff like who got fat on Facebook, "how is this person flipping engaged when I don't even have a boyfriend?", "do you think their baby is cute or alien-ish?", etc. But, serious stuff too. That's what everyone wants, right? The ability to talk about absolutely anything, stupid or not, and truly not get judged.

Lately, she's been a lifesaver with...well, listening to me complain about a multitude of things. She has the advice I need at the time I need it most. Granted, a lot of the time it's cutting and harsh, haha, but it's good for me, all the same. And, it's all very greatly appreciated because I know she has my best interest in mind.

Don't get me wrong though. It goes both ways. I have to hear some straaange stories. Like, about how she helped this retarded kid on the subway one day (I mean, she kind of had to, he was sitting on her lap, after all). She helped him get off the subway and pointed him in the right direction of where he was going, etc. Well, she told me she was scared. I thought, "awww, that's sweet" and figured she was scared that this poor kid didn't make his way to wherever he was supposed to be going. But nooo...she was scared she was somehow going to get freaking arrested for not helping him well enough. Yeah, that's the kind of shit the cops get excited about. Don't ask. I still don't understand.

The thing is, and this is going to sound strange, that's the best part about her. Truly. I hope and I'm confident that one day some guy will appreciate that kind of shit the way I do. Because, if you don't appreciate it and you don't get it, well then, you're missing out on everything.

So, anyway, thanks for all that Pip. I completely and utterly appreciate it all very much.

No comments:

Post a Comment